Notes |
- Nearly opposite to the Cathedral is the Mayor's Chapel, or the collegiate church of St Mark. This is a small fabric, but interesting in its history, and entitled to attention for the ancient monuments which still remain, particularly in its small, or side aisle, and in the chancel.
This church was dedicated to the blessed Virgin Mary, and St Mark, and was erected by Maurice de Gaunt, probably about the year 1229. It originally belonged to the hospital of the Gaunts, which was founded for the maintenance of a chaplain, and the relief of one hundred poor every day (Maurice's charter of foundation is said to be still extant among the registers at Wells).
...several ancient tombs in the chancel on each side of the altar deserve attention. The first on the left, near the steps was erected about the year 1361, to the memory of Sir Thomas de Berkeley and Catharine his lady, daughter of John Lord Bottetourte, and bears their statues in the rude sculpture of the times. Next to this is a tomb bearing a statue, arrayed in the pontifical habit, consecrated to the memory of Miles Salley, abbot of Einsham, and afterwards bishop of Landaff, who died in 1516. Opposite to these are several monuments, of which the most interesting are a stately monument, with a statue, to the memory of Thomas James, mayor, and representative of Bristol, who died in 1615, and another with two statues kneeling, designed to preserve the names of Thomas Aldworth, and his son John, both eminent merchants of their time. The father died in 1598, and the son in 1615. This family was particularly distinguished by its spirit of enterprize in the colonization of Newfoundland, and by its commercial transactions with that country in the infant state of the colony (Hackluit's voyages).
The History of Bristol, Civil and Ecclesiastical, Volume 2
by Rev. John Evans
W. Sheppard, 1816
|